Sunday, August 09, 2009

SkyHarbor needs to go embedded



A few weeks ago I went to Terminal 2 at Phoenix SkyHarbor Airport (PHX). [PS: I'm always impressed by the cleanliness.] There were new 'Arrival/Departure' screens .... not the normal TV-Monitors.

These monitors were large, LCD monitors ... 4 monitors in a group .. at body-height. It was nice because the old TV-Monitors are usually mounted up high and you have to always look up to see them.

I was able to look behind the monitors and took a great snap-shot. Notice what they're doing? Each monitor has its own Dell small-footprint PC .. what a waste. It would be so much easier to have one monitor with an embedded PC .. and that PC driving the video for all the monitors. If they make it wireless and use a low-power PC .. imagine the cost savings (in support and power).

It's nice to find these issues ... I just wonder to who I should communicate this idea.

No comments: