Monday, June 22, 2009

Previous Ubuntu server from within VMWare

Ok ... it took some time, but my Ubuntu garage server is back .. up-and-running inside VMWare Workstation running on Vista-32.

Brief background information: I have a pink PC (my daughter's old PC) running in the garage. I loaded it with Ubuntu 9.04, configured with Gallery2 .. so I can host family photos. I was also using it to learn Drupal and some torrenting.

But .. I'm on vacation, and I want to convert the family VCR home movies to digital. So I purchased a Canopus ADVC 110 (analog to digital) device. But I was nervous on software .. and Canopus software runs on Windows only. So I put another harddrive in and installed Vista. My conversion of the VCR tapes is going well .. but then I thought about my Ubuntu server.

Ahh .. I remembered there was an option in VMWare ... which allows you to use a physical harddrive. I tried that option .. and I was able to boot my Ubuntu up and have it running inside VMWare. Some simple finageling around with port-forwarding on the router .... and Apache is working well.

It took some time .. but my Ubuntu is back, up and running!

No comments: